Monday, October 28, 2013

Addison Gallery Write-up

1.     Chris Verene has a very Polaroid film feel, despite having been taken in 2006-7. His work seems to look at the everyday of his family life, in what seem like more run-down environments. Kathleen Robbins, on the other hand, created images that captured an openness of her surroundings, combining the ideas of where she grew up and her family. I personally enjoyed her style of printing more; it is much more crisp and the color of the prints are hauntingly beautiful.
2.       Nina Berman’s Marine Wedding series was both disturbing on a visual level, but also kind of a beautiful moment. I have many family members who are or were in the armed services, and I thank god that none of them ended up being injured in such a way as the young man in the pictures, but I still have that connection to the uniform, and the very visceral reminder that there is an inescapable horror associated with war, and no amount of patriotism can negate that.
3.     Patty Chan’s In Love was too much for me. I don’t know if was differing cultural norms that I am not aware of, or there is something else I am missing, but making out with your parents between and onion while crying seems like a bit much. It felt too much like art for the sake of creating a shock factor, and I didn’t really enjoy watching it at all.
4.      I sometimes do, during holidays and such, but it feels too much like an obligation to be enjoyable. There are so many photographers on my dad’s side of the family it dosen’t really matter though, because the pictures get taken whether I am doing them or not, so I usually just try and relax. My favorite family photo was one of myself and my young cousin at the piano, me watching over him as he tries to play. It was taken by my great uncle Sy Johnson and is in crisp black and white and with amazing lighting.
5.      For the exhibit as a whole, I noticed a very diverse set of family types, but there were some missing demographics from the collection. Most of the families were middle or lower class, probably because most of the photographers happened to have come from those kinds of family environments. And on a similar note, the families were predominantly white. Otherwise I generally enjoyed this exhibit, and would like to see more work of at least some of the photographers.
6.      It has opened me up more to the possibility of using family as a subject in my photos, though knowing them and our fights we had with our father, it probably won’t be easy to get them to pose.
7.      Pigment print: a type of printing that uses pigments to directly color the paper.
Cibachrome print: a handmade method of color slide printing that uses yellow, magenta, and cyan dyes.
Chromogenic Print: Using a color negative and a lightjet printer or similar device to create a print.
Giclee print: fine art prints made on an inkjet printer.
Lightjet print: a process that uses red, green, and blue lasers on silver based paper to make a color print.

Inkjet: typical printing style, uses inks of varying colors to create a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment